These are my (Sapha Burnell's) lecture notes from Chitra Anand(@Chitra_Anand)'s Keynote Speech at the Canadian Writers' Summit in Toronto, June 15 - 19, 2015.
- During a time of disruption, intrapreneurs help through transformation
- Reset perception of Brand in the Market
- Challenges conventional thinking to drive innovation & creative thinking
- Cultivating ideas
- know how to pivot
- driven by passion
- addressing potential gaps
Technology sped up globalization
Technology is a fiercely competitive world, where the Consumer is EMPOWERED.
- Social Media has empowered the consumer.
- Product sales come from asking: “Why do people connect with this product?”
- Relevance and innovation are the key to new products/books on market.
- Speed to Market cannot be fast enough (for technology)
Consumers have 4 Main Trends:
- Mobile: Consumers check their smartphones everywhere, working anytime, and anywhere.
- Social: Online shopping. Millennial use devices in real-time. 70% trust consumer reviews. There’s a new Triple Bottom Line. They want Referrals and Healthy Products.
- Cloud: Data Storage online, via off-site servers where users can share information faster.
- Big Data: Visual Data is the new currency, when it brings a synthesis of information. Need to use marketing information to influence buying behaviour.
- Becoming a walking ethnographer for human understanding.
- Be a viewer of people.
- Observe Human Interaction at every opportunity.
- Harness the power of data
- Turn information into Money
- Create and Maintain Relevance
- Become habitual for your customers.
- Publish often enough to keep the customers minds on your new work.
- Focus on innovation & speed to market
- Might be a bit hard for authors, when speed can = sloppy work.
- Understand the power of creative storytelling.
- We love stories.
- We retain stories.
- Story first, product last. (ie. #LikeAGirl)
- Look at the social & political large picture.
- How do we craft our story around what we are doing?